All listings for this product
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $31.45Trending at AU $32.23
- AU $56.25Trending at AU $57.26
- AU $161.21Trending at AU $168.19
- AU $65.85Trending at AU $78.69
- AU $11.89Trending at AU $18.32
- AU $12.87Trending at AU $16.79
- AU $36.85Trending at AU $51.47
About this product
- DescriptionThis well-kwn fairy tale follows the adventures of a mischievous puppet without strings, Picchio. Picchio is at once a tragicomic character, and a poor, illiterate peasant boy who has few choices in life but usually chooses to shirk his responsibilities. In his compelling introduction, Jack Zipes discusses 'Picchio' in the contexts of the folk tale and the literary fairy tale, showing how Collodi subverts these traditions and raising questions about how we 'civilise' children in uncivilised times.
- Author BiographyCarlo Collodi (1826-1890) was the pen name of Carlo Lorenzini, a journalist born in Florence. For much of his life, Collodi devoted his writing to the liberation movement to free Italy from Austrian domination. In 1875, he turned his attention from politics to writing for children. Jack Zipes is a professor of German at the University of Minnesota. A specialist in folklore, fairy tales and children's literature, he has written several books of criticism and edited anthologies of literature.
- Author(s)Carlo Collodi
- PublisherPenguin Books Ltd
- Date of Publication21/09/2002
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPenguin Classics
- Out-of-print date05/06/2015
- Content Noteb&w illustrations
- Weight162 g
- Width130 mm
- Height196 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Illustrator(s)Charles Folkard
- Translated byM. A. Murray,S. Tassinan
- Introduction byJack David Zipes
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.