All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFor the Baltimore Orioles, the glory days stretched to decades. Through the 1960s and 1970s, the team arguably had the best players, the best manager, the best Mir League teams, the best scouts and front office-and, unarguably, the best record in the American League. But the best of all, and one of baseball's greatest teams ever, was the Orioles team of 1970. Pitching, Defense, and Three-Run Homers documents that paradoxically unforgettable yet often overlooked World Champion team. Led by the bats of Frank Robinson and Boog Powell and a trio of 20-win pitchers, the Orioles won 108 regular season games and dropped just 1 postseason game on their way to winning the World Series against the Reds. The club featured three future Hall of Fame players (Frank Robinson, Brooks Robinson, and Jim Palmer), a Hall of Fame manager (Earl Weaver), and several other star players in the prime of their careers. Featuring biographical articles on Weaver, his coaches, the broadcasters, and the players of the 1970 season, this book tells what happened in and out of the game. It details highlights and timelines, the memorable games, spectacular plays, and the team's working philosophy, the Oriole Way -and in sum recreates the magic of one of the greatest seasons in baseball history.
- Author BiographyMark Armour, the director of the Society for American Baseball Research's Baseball Biography Project, is the author of three books on baseball, most recently Joe Cronin (Nebraska, 2010). Baltimore native Malcolm Allen has served as associate editor of La Prensa del Beisbol Latino, the quarterly newsletter of the Society for American Baseball Research's Latino baseball committee.
- PublisherUniversity of Nebraska Press
- Date of Publication01/05/2012
- SubjectBall Games: Field & Outdoor
- Series TitleMemorable Teams in Baseball History
- Place of PublicationLincoln
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Nebraska Press
- Content Note43 photographs, 32 tables
- Weight567 g
- Width203 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edited byMalcolm Allen,Mark L. Armour
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $73.29
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $71.81
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $70.75
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $103.44
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.95
- AU $53.09Trending at AU $58.60
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $112.55
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.