All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $33.15Trending at AU $35.14
- AU $30.21Trending at AU $34.60
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $14.01
- AU $21.17Trending at AU $25.58
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.86
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $23.42
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $100.05
About this product
- DescriptionIn early summer 1959, Texas Tech senior Jerry Craft was planning to stay home on the family ranch when Carl Sedberry, a semipro baseball manager, phoned, asking him to try out for his club. Craft had never heard of the Wichita Falls/Graham Stars, but they needed a pitcher, and Craft was surprised and persuaded by their offer to pay $75 per game. Craft was in for an even bigger surprise when he reported to Spudder Park and realized that Mr. Sedberry was recruiting him for the West Texas Colored League. No one least of all Craft could kw for sure what would happen when the League s first white pitcher took the mound that summer day. But as Mr. Sedberry s wisdom prevailed, the Stars and their white teammate pulled together to play a game they loved. Craft would pitch two seasons for the Stars. As they made history Craft and his teammates would learn much from Mr. Sedberry and each other about sports and life, and share experiences that would change them forever. Looking back on those years before the Civil Rights movement, when baseball was still very much a segregated game in a segregated society, Craft relates an unlikely story of respect, character, humor, and ultimately friendship.
- Author BiographyJerry Craft, rancher and former mayor of Jacksboro, Texas, was the first white man to play in the West Texas Colored League, during the summers of 1959 and 1960. A pioneer in the national cable television industry, he lives in Jacksboro and operates ranches in Texas and New Mexico. Kathleen Sullivan, who holds degrees from Baylor University and Arizona State University, has taught at Southern Methodist University and the University of Texas at Arlington. A member of the Sport Literature Association and the Society for American Baseball Research, she lives in Arlington, Texas
- Author(s)Dean Kathleen Sullivan,Jerry Craft
- PublisherTexas Tech Press,U.S.
- Date of Publication30/05/2013
- SubjectBall Games: Field & Outdoor
- Place of PublicationTexas
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTexas Tech Press,U.S.
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight313 g
- Width160 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine15 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.