Planning Public Library Buildings: Concepts and Issues for the Librarian by Mr. Michael Dewe (Hardback, 2006)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $163.30Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by books2anywhereuk
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $51.94+ AU $4.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
Consider these sponsored items
About this product
- DescriptionPlanning a new or refurbished public library means considering t only facilities for collections, services, staff and users, but examining also the local context, reviewing the library image, and developing relationships with other community facilities and agencies. This book examines the entire gamut of challenges confronting the planning and development of contemporary public libraries; their mission, their roles, and key issues such as lifelong learning, social inclusion, community and cultural needs, regeneration and funding. The helpful presentation and readable style guides the librarian through the preliminary information-gathering and decision-making process that ensures a successful library building for all concerned. Using practical case studies, plans and photographs, the author tackles the critical issues of siting, size, plans and design concepts, and provides a helpful guide to weighing up the alternatives of refurbished, converted and new buildings. Separate chapters focus on the planning, briefing and construction process; security, safety and sustainability; key characteristics of successful buildings; identity, decor and signage; and interior layout and facilities. The text draws together a vast resource of real library examples from all over the world which provide best practice models and lessons to learn. For funding authorities, librarians and architects of public libraries this is a highly informative book that will help to ensure wise decision-making and prevent costly mistakes.
- Author BiographyMichael Dewe has extensive experience at senior level in public libraries and latterly as a University Lecturer in the Department of Information Studies at the University of Wales, Aberystwyth, Wales. As well as a long-standing commitment to writing and lecturing about library buildings, he has also acted as a consultant both in the UK and abroad. Actively involved with the IFLA Section on Library Buildings and Equipment for a number of years, he was also a member of the judging panel for the Public Library Building Awards scheme from 1995 to 2003. Currently he is a team member of the library buildings database project, Designing Libraries (www.designing libraries.org.uk) and has written a booklet on primary school library design.
- Author(s)Mr. Michael Dewe
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication28/04/2006
- SubjectLibrary & Information Science
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAshgate Publishing Limited
- Content NoteIncludes 23 b&w illustrations
- Weight822 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $103.88Trending at AU $108.51
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.09
- AU $166.94Trending at AU $170.17
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $117.55
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.59
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.99
- AU $49.74Trending at AU $52.38
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.