Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $75.40
- AU $65.90Trending at AU $72.27
- AU $64.90Trending at AU $71.26
- AU $93.88Trending at AU $107.07
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $104.10
- AU $75.99Trending at AU $79.99
- AU $55.80Trending at AU $56.95
About this product
- DescriptionStalinist industrialisation concentrated on the heavy and machine-building sectors, with the frank aim of strengthening defence capacity. However, the precise nature of the defence industry and military-industrial aspirations remained unkwn until recently. Using the opened archives in Russia, this is the first study of the involvement of Red Army officials in the central planning organ, Gosplan. It links the military's vision of future war, formulated by the leading military theoretician Mikhail Tukhachevskii (1893-1937) in the theory of 'deep operations', with the investment patterns of the 5-year plans. On a regular basis and parallel to peacetime plans, Gosplan's Defence Sector, with its many military experts, formulated alternative plans for the event of war. These plans and mobiliz-ation requirements as specified for branches and individual enterprises show a new dimension of the pre-war Soviet ecomy, and give a background to the wartime success of the Red Army despite its catastrophic setbacks in 1941.
- Author BiographyLENNART SAMUELSON acquired his academic training at the University of Stockholm where he was Lecturer in Economic History. He received his Ph.D. in economic history at the Stockholm School of Economics. He is Assistant Professor to the Institute for Research in Economic History and holds a research post at the National Defence College, Stockholm.
- Author(s)Lennart Samuelson
- PublisherPalgrave Macmillan
- Date of Publication12/10/1999
- SubjectMilitary History
- Series TitleStudies in Russian and East European History and Society
- Place of PublicationBasingstoke
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPalgrave Macmillan
- Content Notebiography
- Weight510 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine22 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.