All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.40
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.83
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $96.53
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.28
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.18
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.95
- AU $69.55Trending at AU $86.07
About this product
- DescriptionPopular music has always been a dynamic mediator of gender and sexuality, and a productive site of rebellion, oddity and queerness. The transformative capacity of music-making, performance and consumption helps us to make sense of identity and allows us to glimpse otherworldliness, arousing the political imagination. With an activist voice that is impassioned yet adherent to scholarly rigour, Playing it Queer provides an original and compelling ethgraphic account of the relationship between popular music, queer self-fashioning and (sub)cultural world-making. This book begins with a comprehensive survey and critical evaluation of relevant literatures on queer identity and political debates as well as popular music, identity and (sub)cultural style. Contextualised within a detailed history of queer sensibilities and creative practices, including camp, drag, genderfuck, queercore, feminist music and club cultures, the author's rich empirical studies of local performers and translocal scenes intimately capture the meaning and value of popular musics and (sub)cultural style in everyday queer lives.
- Author BiographyJodie Taylor received her PhD in Musicology from Griffith University, Australia. She was a Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Cultural Sociology at the Griffith Centre for Cultural Research (2009-12), and is currently a Research Fellow at the Queensland Conservatorium Research Centre. She has published numerous articles on aspects of queer culture, popular music and ethnography and is currently co-editing three anthologies on erotic cultures, festivalisation and mainstream music.
- Author(s)Jodie Taylor
- PublisherPeter Lang AG, Internationaler Verlag der Wissenschaften
- Date of Publication26/06/2012
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- First Published2012
- ImprintPeter Lang AG, Internationaler Verlag der Wissenschaften
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight380 g
- Width155 mm
- Height255 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Edition Statement1st New edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.