All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA brilliant colorist and masterful storyteller, Dutch mannerist Joachim Wtewael (1566-1638) wielded a remarkably skilled brush and the technical ability to show it off in intricate compositions. He took inspiration from a wide range of biblical and mythological sources to create imaginative, often quite erotic scenes. While such pictures were prized in Wtewael's time, more recently they were hidden away--behind other paintings, in leather folders on bookshelves, and in the reserves of great museums. This richly illustrated volume brings together more than fifty of Wtewael's finest paintings and drawings, from a small jewel-like picture on copper depicting Mars and Venus to large-scale mannerist showpieces such as The Martyrdom of Saint Sebastian and Perseus and Andromeda. A pillar of the Utrecht community, Wtewael was engaged in business, religion, and politics as well as art. He adopted the exotic mannerist style, full of artifice and inventive manipulation, and continued to be fascinated by the challenge of creating sophisticated variations well into his maturity, when other Dutch artists had turned to naturalism. This book explores Wtewael's amazingly refined and detailed paintings and drawings, shedding light on his reputation, his life, and the conflicted times--marked by icoclasm and strife--in which he thrived. Exhibition schedule: *Centraal Museum Utrecht, February 21-May 25, 2015*National Gallery of Art, Washington, June 28-October 4, 2015* Sarah Campbell Blaffer Foundation at the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, November 1, 2015-January 31, 2016
- Author BiographyArthur K. Wheelock Jr. is curator of northern baroque paintings at the National Gallery of Art, Washington. Liesbeth M. Helmus is curator of old master paintings, drawings, and sculpture at the Centraal Museum Utrecht. James Clifton is director of the Sarah Campbell Blaffer Foundation and curator of Renaissance and baroque painting at the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston. Anne W. Lowenthal is an independent scholar and authority on Joachim Wtewael. Stijn Alsteens is curator of drawings and prints at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York.
- Author(s)Arthur K. Wheelock,Jr.,Liesbeth M. Helmus
- PublisherPrinceton University Press
- Date of Publication30/01/2015
- SubjectIndividual Artists / Art Monographs
- Place of PublicationNew Jersey
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPrinceton University Press
- Content Note170 color illus.
- Weight1571 g
- Width244 mm
- Height280 mm
- Spine25 mm
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.09
- AU $32.49Trending at AU $38.03
- AU $28.56Trending at AU $29.47
- AU $11.66Trending at AU $14.91
- AU $28.03Trending at AU $30.57
- AU $30.98Trending at AU $39.95
- AU $11.25Trending at AU $14.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.