CURRENTLY SOLD OUT
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.16
- AU $20.15Trending at AU $23.92
- AU $30.78Trending at AU $34.97
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.97
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.45
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.82
- AU $28.58Trending at AU $36.57
About this product
- DescriptionIn seven highly autobiographical French vels from the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, fiction brings to real life a simple resolution. These vels plot to kill a female character based on a woman in the author's life, a person who was still alive when the vel was published.Because these vels both depend on and radically diverge from autobiographical reality, they are uniquely instructive about the nature of fiction itself. Reading the life stories in relation to the plots, Mortimer brings into sharp critical focus plot, plotting, and the plotable. Always interesting, often revealing, this probing analysis of a special type of autobiographical fiction, with its distinctive treatment of real and fictionalized women, will stimulate and entertain the reader.<The vels are Stael's Corinne, Constant's Adolphe, Gide's L'immoraliste and La porte etroite, Alain-Fournier's Le grand Meaulnes, Radiguet's Le diable au corps, and Beauvoir's L'invitee.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Armine Kotin Mortimer, who received her Ph.D. from Yale in 1974, is Professor of French Literature and Criticism and Interpretive Theory at the University of Illinois in Urbana-Champaign. She is the author of three previous books, including La cloture narrative and The Gentlest Law: Roland Barthes's The Pleasure of the Text (Peter Lang 1989). She has published many articles in both French and English, on topics largely in narrative literature ranging across five centuries.
- Author(s)Armine Kotin Mortimer
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication01/03/1991
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleWriting About Women Feminist Literary Studies
- Series Part/Volume Number1
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published1991
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Weight500 g
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.