Excerpt from Plummer Hall: Its Libraries, Its Collections, Its Historical Associations Plummer Hall is so called in hor of Ernestus Augustus Plummer, whose sister Miss Caroline Plummer, cherishing his memory, and directing that her gift should be recorded in his name, bequeathed to the proprietors of the Salem Athenaeum the sum of thirty thousand dollars ($30,000) for the purchasing a piece of land in some central and convenient spot in the city of Salem, and for building thereon a safe and elegant building of brick or stone to be employed for the purpose of depositing the books belonging to said corporation, with liberty also to have the rooms thereof used for any scientific or literary institutions, or for the deposit of any works of art or natural productions. The Plummer Family. Miss Caroline Plummer was the daughter of Dr. Joshua and Olive (Lyman) Plummer, and was born in Gloucester, Mass., Jan'y 13, 1780, and died at Salem May 15, 1854. Her ancestors came to this country during the great migration from England to New England (1620-1640) of those persons who were desirous for intellectual freedom and ecclesiastical independence, rather than for worldly hors and emoluments. About the Publisher Forgotten Books publishes hundreds of thousands of rare and classic books. Find more at www.forgottenbooks.com This book is a reproduction of an important historical work. Forgotten Books uses state-of-the-art techlogy to digitally reconstruct the work, preserving the original format whilst repairing imperfections present in the aged copy. In rare cases, an imperfection in the original, such as a blemish or missing page, may be replicated in our edition. We do, however, repair the vast majority of imperfections successfully; any imperfections that remain are intentionally left to preserve the state of such historical works.