Poetry Aloud Here!: Sharing Poetry with Children in the Library by Sylvia M. Vardell (Paperback, 2006)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $86.63+ AU $10.00 postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by roxy*books
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $20.18+ AU $4.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPoetry is enjoying a surge of popularity, with a new talented generation of children's poets leading the pack. Poetry reading for children has come a long way since the dry recitation of the classics from yesteryear. Today, thanks to poetry jams and slams, interactive poetry web sites, and engaging National Poetry Month activities, children think of poetry as lively and fun. Today's poetry presentations are geared to make children laugh, think, interact with their world...even put a new spin on their classwork. Poetry expert Vardell shows how librarians, teachers, and others can introduce children, ages 5 to 12, to the world of poetry in a way that's meaningful, participatory, and fun. Presenting a wide assortment of possibilities, this made-for-browsing reference features: advice on pairing poems with other genres across the school curriculum; 10 major strategies for enabling active audience participation; original essays and poems written by top children's poets; poetry building exercises and other activities to engage children; and, lists of poetry resources including major children's poetry awards, favorite classical poems, international poems, and much more. From choosing a poem and developing presentations that will keep the audience captivated, to using promotional displays and materials, Poetry Aloud Here! takes the reader through all the steps of introducing poetry for children. Full of tips, advice, and lists of ideas and resources, it's an indispensable guide for school library specialists, teachers, and YA librarians.
- Author BiographySylvia M. Vardell is currently Professor at Texas Woman's University in the School of Library and Information Studies, where she teaches graduate courses in children's and young adult literature. She has published articles in Book Links, Language Arts, English Journal, The Reading Teacher, The New Advocate, Young Children, Social Education, and Horn Book, as well as several chapters and books on language and literature. A presenter at many state, regional, national, and international conferences, Vardell organizes the Poetry Round Up session at the Texas Library Association conference, modeled after the ALSC Poetry Blast held at the annual ALA convention. She received her Ph.D. from the University of Minnesota in 1983.
- Author(s)Sylvia M. Vardell
- PublisherAmerican Library Association
- Date of Publication15/12/2006
- SubjectLibrary & Information Science
- Place of PublicationChicago, IL
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintALA Editions
- Weight299 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine12 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $90.88Trending at AU $93.26
- AU $28.71Trending at AU $30.90
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $79.02
- AU $34.29Trending at AU $38.77
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.42
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $17.98
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.31
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.