All listings for this product
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.09
- AU $32.48Trending at AU $38.03
- AU $28.56Trending at AU $29.47
- AU $11.66Trending at AU $14.91
- AU $28.03Trending at AU $30.57
- AU $30.98Trending at AU $39.95
- AU $11.25Trending at AU $14.82
About this product
- DescriptionOne might wonder why anyone in this day and age of electronics would feel a need to write poetry. There is a simple answer. No better way exists to express insightful feelings than by putting it in poetry form. Who remembers endless prose? Few do. Capturing insight in the form of a poem has a powerful impact unlike reams of prosaic writing. Any one who doubts this point should read T.S. Eliot's Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock or Gerontion. Old men reading these Eliot poems understand fully the enigmas of growing old in a younger world. Poetry gives lasting power to conveying the spirit of the day. All poets write about things that relate to their culture and times. My collection of poems is about times from WWII to present times. By comparison Bret Harte wrote poems about the Civil War days because that was the major event of his times. Harte could t have written about our times in a meaningful way. But if anyone really desires to feel the spirit of the Civil War days then they should read Harte's poetry. You will feel like you are living the Civil War days by reading Harte's poetry. His capturing of those times is unforgettable when in the form of poetry. The book offered is appropriately titled: Poetry Lives Forever. The first poem serves as an introduction to the book and is also titled identically. In the introductory poem I give insight into why I believe poetry has a lasting way of conveying spirit of current times and will have infinite value long after time runs out and mankind perishes. One hundred years from w, if this collection is read, I kw that those who read and recite the poems will get a sense of the true feeling for the spirit of the culture of our day. There is one last important point to mention. The poems are presented in random order for good reason. The random unpredictable order forces each poem to be quite different than the previous one. It is hoped that the reader will develop an anticipation of a pleasant surprise coming in the content of the next poem. Grouping poems by similarity of content would surely bore anyone with intelligence. No one should ever be bored by things being too organized.
- Author(s)Dr Joseph Edward Brierly Ph D,Joseph Edward Brierly
- Date of Publication28/04/2011
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight435 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.