Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $68.55Trending at AU $73.88
- AU $7.43Trending at AU $12.05
- AU $13.21Trending at AU $15.11
- AU $11.92Trending at AU $16.07
- AU $19.18Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $20.38Trending at AU $30.97
- AU $19.94Trending at AU $23.06
About this product
- DescriptionA petty act of revenge in the form of a droll online personal ad generated appreciative fan mail, turning the author's head, and leading to this, an embarkation on a year-long project of writing and posting story-style personals on Cragislist. Readers have described these vignettes (with admiration) as byzantine, ridiculously obscure, and slapstick. A true parody of the genre, filled with historical trivia and tinted by a stalgia for the past, this folie a deux of fiction and fact mixed up to surrealist proportions will leave you breathless and bewildered, but happy to have been along for the ride. A few errant lines from the book: I was born in the same Roman casi and at the same moment that King Farouk died. My mother had gone into labor presumably from the shock incurred by having been unjustly accused of counting cards... I have my share of unfulfilled dreams...such as running my own cock-fighting emporium in Mexico and reconstituting the Flying Wallendas, but as world-class touring canasta players... My grandfather also once told me that he had eleven days of whoopee with a young English velist. They schtupped the stuffing out of each other, under the L in a vermin-ridden room of a salesmen's hotel... I would flee Vaduz, and that world of dusk-ribboned ceilings of fixed arcadia. That world that had greeted me with ormolu sunsets was one that had also sent me off with those unkwable, sickly strains plumbed from the depths... When Mother entered the room, she discovered Roman wearing only a stippled foulard scarf, violently thrashing Father's behind with a wangee cane... If I had the prescience to detect the loosening shards that would litter my path, I would have intensified my exertions and joined Michael Rockefeller's expedition to Irian Jaya...Recently, I moved to Manhattan and took up with a Peronist-what the hell was I thinking?! As a trusted intimate, I taught King Albert the finer points of mountaineering and showed Leopold III how to drive his sports coupes... It was the Cleavers and Bobby Hutton who liberated me. Their demands for seaweed wraps and eye treatments expanded horizons such as I had never kwn... My companion must effortlessly exhibit sartorial splendor and show me that he has the ambition to acquire an inverted Jenny...
- Author(s)C W Shain
- Date of Publication30/08/2012
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight141 g
- Width133 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine7 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.