All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBiological warfare is a menacing twenty-first-century issue, but its origins extend to antiquity. While the recorded use of toxins in warfare in some ancient populations is rarely disputed (the use of arsenical smoke in China, which dates to at least 1000 BC, for example) the use of poison arrows and other deadly substances by Native American groups has been fraught with contradiction. At last revealing clear documentation to support these theories, anthropologist David Jones transforms the realm of ethbotany in <cite>Poison Arrows. Examining evidence within the few extant descriptive accounts of Native American warfare, along with grooved arrowheads and clues from botanical kwledge, Jones builds a solid case to indicate widespread and very effective use of many types of toxins. He argues that various groups applied them to t only warfare but also to hunting, and even as an early form of insect extermination. Culling extensive ethlogical, historical, and archaeological data, Jones provides a thoroughly comprehensive survey of the use of ethbotanical and entomological compounds applied in wide-ranging ways, including homicide and suicide. Although many narratives from the contact period in North America deny such uses, Jones w offers conclusive documentation to prove otherwise. A groundbreaking study of a subject that has been long overlooked, <cite>Poison Arrows imparts an extraordinary new perspective to the history of warfare, weaponry, and deadly human ingenuity.
- Author BiographyDAVID E. JONES is Professor of Anthropology at the University of Central Florida in Orlando.
- Author(s)David E. Jones
- PublisherUniversity of Texas Press
- Date of Publication01/02/2007
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Place of PublicationAustin, TX
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Texas Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight312 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $43.10
- AU $17.61Trending at AU $22.61
- AU $9.20Trending at AU $16.15
- AU $43.37Trending at AU $48.90
- AU $30.57Trending at AU $33.73
- AU $11.00Trending at AU $14.90
- AU $17.85Trending at AU $25.07
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.