All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhat is the place of Christian love in a pluralistic society dedicated to liberty and justice for all ? What would it mean to take both Jesus Christ and Abraham Lincoln seriously and attempt to translate love of God and neighbor into every quarter of life, including law and politics? Timothy Jackson addresses such questions in Political Agape: Prophetic Christianity and Liberal Democracy. Jackson argues that love of God and neighbor is the perilously neglected civil virtue of our time and that it must be considered even before justice in structuring political principles and policies. To indicate the specific implications of civic agapism, he looks at such issues as the death penalty, Christian complicity in the Holocaust, the case for same-sex marriage, and the morality of adoption. The book concludes with Jackson's reflections on Martin Luther King Jr. as a Christian hero.
- Author BiographyTimothy P Jackson is Professor of Christian Ethics at Candler School of Theology, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia.
- Author(s)Timothy P. Jackson
- PublisherWilliam B Eerdmans Publishing Co
- Date of Publication30/06/2015
- SubjectChristianity: General
- Series TitleEmory University Studies in Law & Religion (EUSLR)
- Place of PublicationGrand Rapids
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintWilliam B Eerdmans Publishing Co
- Weight594 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $79.06
- AU $70.86Trending at AU $126.78
- AU $6.83Trending at AU $10.44
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.49
- AU $16.68Trending at AU $22.27
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.41
- AU $30.84Trending at AU $33.28
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.