All listings for this product
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.90Trending at AU $23.55
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $75.38
- AU $32.88Trending at AU $36.70
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.07
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.48
- AU $17.45Trending at AU $19.79
- AU $44.07Trending at AU $51.53
About this product
- DescriptionIn the mid-nineteenth-century, Peru underwent a profound transformation. As the world ecomy became increasingly integrated, a new trade-based ruling class emerged. Elections led to political mobilization, and those in positions of national authority found themselves forced to negotiate with regional power brokers and lower social classes. Central to this transformation was the creation of the Partido Civil, the country's first modern political party. Tracing its development, Ulrich Muecke revisits virtually every aspect of nineteenth-century Peruvian society. By exploring the different forms of political action and their symbolic meanings, Muecke offers a new interpretation of the legitimization and construction of political power in Latin America of the 1800s. Using sophisticated theory and based on a wealth of primary research, the book provides insights into elections, the voting process, and power relations throughout the region.
- Author BiographyUlrich Muecke teaches modern and contemporary history of France, Spain, and Latin America at the Georg-August-Universitat Gottingen. He is the author Das Indianerbild des peruanischen Liberalismus, and the coeditor of Muchas Hispanoamericas: Antropologia, historia y enfoques culturales en los estudios latinoamericanistas.
- Author(s)Ulrich Muecke
- PublisherUniversity of Pittsburgh Press
- Date of Publication31/07/2004
- SubjectPolitics: General & Reference
- Series TitlePitt Latin American Series
- Place of PublicationPittsburgh PA
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Pittsburgh Press
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight594 g
- Width156 mm
- Height240 mm
- Spine26 mm
- Translated byKatya Andrusz
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.