All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDuring the 1970s, the National Council for Teachers of English issued a series of res-olutions calling for the teaching of critical reading, listening, viewing, and thinking skills necessary to enable students to cope with the sophisticated persuasion tech-niques in political statements, advertising, entertainment, and news. However, in recent decades, under the sway of multi-culturalism and postmodern theory, com-position and rhetoric pedagogies have strayed from these goals. In Political Lit-eracy in Composition and Rhetoric, author and teacher Donald Lazere issues a call to action for the return to an emphasis on critical thinking skills and multidisciplinary approaches in the teaching of composi-tion and rhetoric. Lazere also presents a keen sociocultural observation regarding the majority of the Middle Americans demographic-lower-middle class, rural, white students with a conservative leaning and an occasional resistance to change- and their learning behaviors and needs. Finally, Lazere offers a roadmap for a new kind of curriculum, one that he argues will enable teachers of composition and rheto-ric to foster a sense of civic literacy in their students and thus, by extension, American society as a whole.
- Author BiographyDonald Lazere, a professor emeritus of English at California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, USA, taught as a lecturer at University of Tennessee at Knoxville, USA after retirement. He is the author or editor of five books, including Why Higher Education SHOULD Have a Leftist Bias, which was published in 2013.
- Author(s)Donald Lazere
- PublisherSouthern Illinois University Press
- Date of Publication30/07/2015
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationCarbondale
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSouthern Illinois University Press
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight463 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine11 mm
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $70.50
- AU $32.48Trending at AU $37.71
- AU $28.53Trending at AU $29.22
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $30.32
- AU $30.99Trending at AU $39.61
- AU $11.25Trending at AU $14.70
- AU $25.62Trending at AU $32.55
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.