Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.33Trending at AU $49.44
- AU $77.99Trending at AU $116.29
- AU $70.18Trending at AU $77.15
- AU $73.74Trending at AU $76.54
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $26.74Trending at AU $37.56
- AU $17.67Trending at AU $23.05
About this product
- DescriptionLiberty. Justice. Nature. Law. First formulated millennia ago by the founding philosophers of the Western tradition, these basic concepts of human thought remain central to our conception of ourselves, our place in the world, and our relationships with others-that is, our politics. Readers encountering such broad political concepts, their practical expressions in political movements and systems of government, the ideas of influential ancient and modern political thinkers-or simply familiar or unfamiliar catchphrases for which they would like a succinct yet informative explanation-will welcome this accessible encyclopedic guide. The major political concepts, themes, issues, movements, groups, and schools that have developed over time and shaped our modern world appear here in all their diversity, along with biographical entries and articles on the principal works of political theorists from Plato to John Rawls. Further, serious students and browsers alike will delight in the numerous entries on familiar quotations and political catchphrases, from the banality of evil and Big Brother to the war of all against all.
- Author BiographyScott John Hammond is Professor of Political Science at James Madison University, specializing in Western political theory and philosophy. He is the coauthor (with Robert N. Roberts) of Encyclopedia of Presidential Campaigns, Slogans, Issues, and Platforms (Greenwood Press, 2004) and (with Paul C. Cline and Anthony J Eksterowicz) American Democracy: Representation, Participation, and the Future of the Republic (1995), and coeditor (with Kevin R. Hardwick and Howard L. Lubert) of the two-volume Classics of American Political and Constitutional Thought (2007).
- Author(s)Scott J. Hammond
- Date of Publication30/11/2008
- SubjectPolitical Science & Theory
- Place of PublicationWestport
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintGreenwood Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight930 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine28 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.