All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $74.54Trending at AU $75.65
- AU $35.52Trending at AU $38.58
- AU $31.31Trending at AU $37.07
- AU $17.55Trending at AU $22.78
- AU $10.39Trending at AU $15.29
- AU $37.61Trending at AU $38.34
- AU $26.33Trending at AU $50.97
About this product
- DescriptionLynching has often been called America's national crime that has defined the tradition of extralegal violence in America. Having claimed many thousand victims, Judge Lynch holds a firm place in the dark recesses of our national memory. In Popular Justice, Manfred Berg explores the history of lynching from the colonial era to the present. American lynch law, he argues, has rested on three pillars: the frontier experience, racism, and the anti-authoritarian spirit of grassroots democracy. Berg looks beyond the familiar story of mob violence against African American victims, who comprised the majority of lynch targets, to include violence targeting other victim groups, such as Mexicans and the Chinese, as well as many of those cases in which race did t play a role. As he nears the modern era, he focuses on the societal changes that ended lynching as a public spectacle. Berg's narrative concludes with an examination of lynching's legacy in American culture. From the colonial era and the American Revolution up to the twenty-first century, lynching has been a part of our nation's history. Manfred Berg provides us with the first comprehensive overview of popular justice.
- Author BiographyManfred Berg is the Curt Engelhorn Professor of American History at the University of Heidelberg. He is author of, among other books, The Ticket to Freedom: The NAACP and the Struggle for Black Political Integration.
- Author(s)Manfred Berg
- PublisherIvan R Dee, Inc
- Date of Publication10/03/2011
- SubjectRegional History
- Series TitleAmerican Ways Series
- Place of PublicationChicago
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintIvan R Dee, Inc
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight476 g
- Width162 mm
- Height238 mm
- Spine21 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.