All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFor thousands of years, the special properties of porcelain - its delicacy, translucency and remarkable strength - have fascinated and inspired, and these qualities continue to have an enduring appeal for ceramic artists. However, porcelain is also a toriously demanding medium that presents unique challenges for the maker. In this inspiring practical guide, porcelain artist Vivienne Foley introduces ceramicists to the material she has been working with for more than forty years. The book takes a comprehensive look at all aspects of porcelain, and covers everything from its composition and workability, to decorating and glazing. Methods of throwing and building are thoroughly covered, with a focus on techniques and faults specific to porcelain. Drying and firing is also discussed, and there is a useful troubleshooting section on all the most likely problems and faults along with suggested remedies. Beginning with the fascinating history of making in porcelain, from the Imperial kilns of China to the Meissen factory of Germany and beyond, this book offers an insight into the way porcelain has been used in the past and how it has been adapted and developed for contemporary work, by current artists who are constantly looking to push the boundaries of possiblity. Illustrated throughout with helpful how-to images, as well as the beautiful works of current artists, Porcelain is the essential handbook for any ceramic student or artist seeking to understand and work with this extraordinary material.
- Author BiographyVivienne Foley has been making sculptural vessels in porcelain for more than 40 years to international acclaim. She set up the first independent porcelain studio in Ireland and continues to exhibit regularly, in solo shows, such as at the V&A, and in prestigious group shows like Collect at the Saatchi Gallery, and at the National Museum of Ireland. Her work is held in high-profile private collections, including several Heads of State such as those of Bill & Hillary Clinton, and has been auctioned at Bonhams and Christie's.
- Author(s)Vivienne Foley
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication23/10/2014
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Series TitleNew Ceramics
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Content Note165 colour illus
- Weight474 g
- Width189 mm
- Height246 mm
- Spine10 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $3.76Trending at AU $7.42
- AU $27.81Trending at AU $30.93
- AU $19.24Trending at AU $26.96
- AU $28.03Trending at AU $32.03
- AU $71.17Trending at AU $80.38
- AU $13.99Trending at AU $15.78
- AU $25.16Trending at AU $27.13
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.