Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $78.86
- AU $70.86Trending at AU $126.46
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $10.41
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.42
- AU $16.68Trending at AU $22.22
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.31
- AU $40.00Trending at AU $40.55
About this product
- DescriptionReader, you have in your hands a motley collection of essays, personal and critical. The advantage of the heterogeneous essay collection by a single author is that it shows you how a particular mind moves through the world. If you are attracted to an essayist's mentality and way of speaking, ideally you can surrender happily to his or her take on various subject matters, the more diverse the better. Let us see how our author will tackle this particular memory, neurotic tic, political or social problem, book, movie, play, comic strip, rock band, without requiring an over-arching theme. If there is a consistent theme in this particular collection, it is the discovery of limitations, and learning to live with them. The recognition of one's limits, painful as it may be, can have salutary side-effects.In my case, it absolves me of the need to be both a hero and a coward, an explorer and a stay-at-home, a saint and a villain, a loyal husband and a Don Juan, a political activist and a skeptic, a spiritual mystic and a rationalist atheist, a performing athlete and a sports fan, a great if excruciatingly self-demanding literary stylist and a prolific if merely good-eugh writer.
- Author BiographyPhillip Lopate is an essayist, novelist and poet. He is the author of more than a dozen books, including three personal essay collections - Bachelorhood, Against Joie de Vivre and Portrait of My Body; a critical study, Notes on Sontag; and To Show and to Tell: The Craft of Literary Nonfiction. He directs the graduate nonfiction program at Columbia University and lives in Brooklyn with his wife and daughter.
- Author(s)Phillip Lopate
- PublisherNotting Hill Editions
- Date of Publication21/02/2015
- SubjectAutobiography: General
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintNotting Hill Editions
- Width120 mm
- Height190 mm
- Spine20 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.