All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionLuc Tuymans (b. 1958) is a painter engaged with figuration, using imagery that he reworks in a critical or self-critical way. He combines images from various sources--photographs, film stills, mirror images--with a spare palette, unexpected cropping, and blurring to reinforce the painted image's status as a replica. Perhaps more than any other genre, portraiture allows Tuymans to explore the balance between revealing and concealing, and to comment on history and its perpetrators. Portraits. Luc Tuymans presents 35 paintings from bodies of work ranging over the artist's entire career. Most seem conventional portraits --Himmler, 1997/98, A Flemish Intellectual, 1995--but others, such as Bloodstains, 1993, and Fingers, 1995, exhibit the artist's elliptical approach to re-presentation. Tuymans's canvases are placed in counterpoint to his selections from the Menil Collection: masks, statuary, and paintings from African, ancient Mediterranean, and Native American cultures, as well as European figurative works. The assembly explores such themes as death and memorials, ritual or religion, power, evildoers and altruism.
- Author BiographyToby Kamps is curator of modern and contemporary art at the Menil Collection. Robert Storr is an art critic, a painter, and dean of the Art School at Yale University.
- PublisherYale University Press
- Date of Publication01/11/2013
- SubjectIndividual Artists / Art Monographs
- Series TitleMenil Collection
- Place of PublicationNew Haven
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintYale University Press
- Content Note65 colour illustrations
- Weight1157 g
- Width235 mm
- Height292 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsPaper over boards
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.88Trending at AU $23.68
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $73.52
- AU $32.89Trending at AU $36.89
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.32
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.67
- AU $44.12Trending at AU $51.80
- AU $41.91Trending at AU $52.43
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.