Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $33.15Trending at AU $35.14
- AU $30.21Trending at AU $34.60
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $14.01
- AU $21.13Trending at AU $25.58
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.86
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $23.42
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $100.05
About this product
- DescriptionThis is an examination of the geographical transitions underway following the collapse in 1991 of the Soviet Union and the 15 nation-states. The author argues that central to understanding the nature of this transition are four processes: decolonization, the transition from union republics to nation-states; democratization, the emergence of civil society and the formation of social movements; marketization, the transition from Marx to the market; and globalization, the transition from withdrawal to re-entry into the global community. This transition period also represents challenges to these post-colonial states in which the nature and impact of these processes will differ, due in part to the unique nature of their societies, ecomies and politics. The book uses case studies and examples to illustrate the ideas and theories posited.
- Author BiographyGraham Smith is Fellow of Sidney Sussex College, Director of its Post-Soviet States Research Programme, and Lecturer on the Post-Soviet States in the Department of Geography, University of Cambridge.
- Author(s)Graham Smith
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication02/07/1999
- SubjectGeography & Earth Science: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintHodder Arnold
- Out-of-print date20/04/2005
- Content NoteIllustrations, maps
- Weight609 g
- Width238 mm
- Height162 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.