All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPresidents, Prime Ministers and Secretary Generals of totalitarian states in the twentieth century have been highly conscious of the need to present a national image suited to the new political culture they sought to inculcate. In these regimes, state-sanctioned art performed a key function, giving visual dimension to an abstract political ideology. There is a striking similarity between the idealized images from these countries. This book presents about fifty postcards from the Soviet Union, Germany, Italy, Spain, and China, between 1920 and the 1960s. While some of the images are of a high aesthetic calibre, others are simply intended to portray a vernacular socialist realism or to cultivate the cult of the leader. Taken together, they form a fascinating look at the art of power and its expression at a time of political upheaval and experiment.
- Author BiographyAndrew Roberts is a prolific historian and biographer who has published books on Waterloo, Hitler and Churchill, the Marquis of Salisbury, the Earl of Halifax and the history of English-speaking peoples since 1900 amongst many others. He is an expert on military history and has won many awards for his writing.
- PublisherThe Bodleian Library
- Date of Publication01/04/2009
- SubjectHistory: World & General
- Series TitlePostcards from...
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintThe Bodleian Library
- Content Note100 colour illustrations
- Weight278 g
- Width135 mm
- Height174 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Introduction byAndrew Roberts
- Format DetailsSewn,Paper over boards
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.53Trending at AU $73.95
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.33
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.77
- AU $92.88Trending at AU $103.09
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.00
- AU $41.64Trending at AU $44.79
- AU $46.32Trending at AU $48.00
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.