All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPosters are ubiquitous. They hang on office walls, bedroom doors and bus shelters. But what relevance do they have today in our age of image saturation, of prolific social media and electronic devices? In Posters: A Global History Elizabeth Guffey tells the story of this ephemeral art form, from its birth in the nineteenth century to its place in contemporary culture. She argues that even among today's burgeoning digital media, few forms of graphic design can rival posters for their tangibility and sheer spatial presence. From London to Ramallah, Los Angeles to Lagos, posters provide new opportunities to communicate across public spaces that are themselves increasingly transformed by digital media. This book re-examines the roots of the poster, charting its rise from the revolutionary lithographs that papered nineteenth-century London and Paris to twentieth-century works of propaganda, advertising, pop culture and protest. It considers the lives of posters: where and why posters were made, and why and how they endured.It examines posters from today's world, including posters of Palestinian martyrs and West African examples describing voodoo activities, and offers a rich variety of both familiar and lesser-kwn examples from the Soviet Union, China, Eastern and Western Europe, the U. S. and elsewhere. Beautifully illustrated, Posters provides a fresh history of the nineteenth- and twentieth-century poster as well as revealing insights into the designs and creative practices of our twenty-first-century world.
- Author BiographyElizabeth E. Guffey is Professor of Art and Design History at the State University of New York, Purchase, and founding editor of academic journal Design and Culture. She is the author of Retro: The Culture of Revival (Reaktion, 2006).
- Author(s)Elizabeth Guffey
- PublisherReaktion Books
- Date of Publication01/02/2015
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintReaktion Books
- Content Note100 colour, 50 black & white
- Weight998 g
- Width190 mm
- Height250 mm
- Spine28 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.78
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $73.15
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.45
- AU $41.64Trending at AU $45.02
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $91.32
- AU $36.81Trending at AU $44.56
- AU $46.38Trending at AU $48.26
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.