CURRENTLY SOLD OUT
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.57
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.97
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.24
- AU $46.35Trending at AU $48.13
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.05
- AU $20.00Trending at AU $28.33
About this product
- DescriptionThe small village of Santa Ana Pueblo in rth-central New Mexico has for centuries made distinctive pottery for domestic and ritual use. In this book, the authors relate new ideas about the evolution of pottery styles made at Santa Ana and compare these styles with those found elsewhere in the Pueblo ceramic tradition. In particular, this richly visual study describes the chrological sequence of forms and designs based on evidence t heretofore available. The book analyses the sequence from the earliest date, circa 1760, when positive evidence of Santa Ana origin can be identified, through the end of pottery making for local use about 1925 through various revivals to the present time. The pottery of Santa Ana Pueblo exemplifies the fine artistic achievement that has brought Pueblo ceramics worldwide acclaim. In this study, Pueblo pottery authority Francis H Harlow, along with anthropologist Duane Anderson and historian Dwight P Lanmon, provides an original and groundbreaking investigation into the origins and evolution of this pueblo's exemplary pottery. The result furnishes criteria for dating any vessel that comes to hand. A chapter on the recognised potters of the twentieth and twenty-first centuries recounts efforts to keep pottery traditions alive for future working potters.
- Author BiographyFrancis H Harlow is a leading authority on Pueblo ceramics. A physicist at Los Alamos National Laboratories, he is the author of eight books. Duane Anderson is director of the Museum of Indian Arts and Culture in Santa Fe and the author of several books. Dwight P Lanmon, research associate at the Museum of Indian Arts and Culture and the School of American Research, is former CEO and director of the Henry Francis du Pont Winterthur Museum.
- Author(s)Duane Anderson,Dwight P. Lanmon,Francis H. Harlow
- PublisherMuseum of New Mexico Press
- Date of Publication01/04/2005
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Place of PublicationNew Mexico
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMuseum of New Mexico Press
- Content Note364 colour photos & 110 b/w illus
- Weight1380 g
- Width280 mm
- Height230 mm
- Spine23 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.