All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.53Trending at AU $73.95
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.33
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.77
- AU $92.88Trending at AU $103.09
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.00
- AU $41.64Trending at AU $44.79
- AU $46.32Trending at AU $48.00
About this product
- DescriptionPounamu is a celebration of jade in its many forms. It is a magnificent tribute to this New Zealand icon, the finest book on the subject ever published. Through the eyes of pounamu specialists Russell Beck and Maika Mason, we explore jade's powerful connection with the natural environment, its Maori myths and history, jewellery and taonga, geology and technical characteristics, places where pounamu is found, methods of working, cultural issues regarding the ownership and management of jade as a resource, contemporary carving, and its significance in the international arena. The text is enhanced by the exquisite, timeless landscape photography of Andris Apse, which sets pounamu firmly in the South Island mountain environment from which it emerges in its natural state. Through these unforgettable photographs we see pounamu in a new and fascinating way. Pounamu is a treasure in its own right, a sumptuous book to be adored for years to come.
- Author BiographyRussell Beck has studied all aspects of nephrite jade for over fifty years, especially research into Maori usage, and involvement with the discovery of new sources and their preservation. A qualified gemmologist (FGA), he was also director of the Southland Museum and Art Gallery for twenty-three years, until his retirement in 1999. He has travelled widely from the Arctic to the Subantarctic and has inspected most of the world's nephrite deposits occurring in China, North America, Siberia, East Asia and the South Pacific. Russell is the author of New Zealand Jade- The Story of Greenstone, first published in 1970 and revised over two subsequent editions. He has co-authored many international publications, written articles and papers and delivered lectures about New Zealand jade in New Zealand and overseas. Russell is a carver of jade as well as a sculptor. His work has attracted several awards and is represented in public and private collections. In 2000, Russell was made an Officer of the New Zealand Order of Merit (ONZM). He lives in Invercargill.
- PrizesShortlisted for New Zealand Post Book Awards: Illustrated Non-Fiction 2011.
- Author(s)Russell J. Beck
- PublisherPenguin Group (NZ)
- Date of Publication22/11/2010
- SubjectNatural History: General
- Place of PublicationAuckland
- Country of PublicationNew Zealand
- First Published2010
- Content Notecolour photographs
- Weight1975 g
- Width257 mm
- Height318 mm
- Spine29 mm
- Photographs byAndris Apse
- Format DetailsPaper over boards
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.