All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA benign old monk listens to a prospective vice's tale of depravity, violence, and carnivorous excess while a nice little family drama - in which nearly everyone dies - unfurls. But in this tale of sharp hatchets, bad water, and a rusty WWII mortar, we can't help but laugh. Reminiscent of the vels of dark masters of European absurdism like Gunter Grass, Witold Gombrowicz, or Jakov Lind, Mo Yan's Pow! is a comic masterpiece. In this bizarre romp through the Chinese countryside, the author treats us to a cornucopia of cooked animal flesh - ostrich, camel, donkey, and dog, as well as the more common varieties. As his dual narratives merge and feather into one ather, each informing and illuminating the other, Yan probes the character and lifestyle of modern China. Displaying his many talents as fabulist, storyteller, scatologist, master of allusion and cliche, and more, Pow! carries the reader along quickly, hungrily, and giddily, up until its surprising deuement. Yan has been called one of the great velists of modern Chinese literature, and the New York Times Book Review has hailed his work as harsh and gritty, raunchy and funny. He writes big, sometimes mystifying, sometimes infuriating, but always entertaining vels - and Pow! is exception.
- Author BiographyMo Yan has published dozens of short stories and novels in Chinese. His other English-language works include The Garlic Ballads. The Republic of Wine, Shifu: You'll Do Anything for a Laugh, Big Breasts & Wide Hips, and Life and Death Are Wearing Me Out. Howard Goldblatt is research professor of Chinese at the University of Notre Dame. The founding editor of Modern Chinese Literature, he has contributed essays and articles to the Washington Post, the Times, Time, World Literature Today, and the Los Angeles Times, among other publications.
- Author(s)Mo Yan
- PublisherSeagull Books London Ltd
- Date of Publication11/12/2012
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationGreenford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintSeagull Books London Ltd
- Weight718 g
- Width163 mm
- Height230 mm
- Spine33 mm
- Translated byHoward Goldblatt
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $30.37Trending at AU $32.26
- AU $29.90Trending at AU $31.74
- AU $12.60Trending at AU $13.13
- AU $46.01Trending at AU $53.33
- AU $41.46Trending at AU $50.01
- AU $28.97Trending at AU $31.88
- AU $12.20Trending at AU $16.34
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.