All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $73.29
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $71.81
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $70.75
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $103.44
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.95
- AU $53.09Trending at AU $58.60
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $112.55
About this product
- DescriptionPower and Protection: Islamic Art and the Supernatural is a ground-breaking investigation of divinatory arts in the Islamic world discussing their impact on, and expression through, material culture. This part of the Islamic tradition has hitherto received limited attention, leaving a fascinating and rich chapter of Islam's cultural production largely unexplored. Essays by three leading experts contextualise over 100 extraordinary objects produced between the twelfth and the twentieth centuries - including personal ornaments, weaponry, textiles, miniature books, and scrolls - demonstrating the currency of astrology, geomancy, bibliomancy, dream interpretation, and the science of divination through letters at all levels of society. Insights gleaned from historical sources unveil and chart the animated debates surrounding divinatory sciences , reflecting changing attitudes towards these practices over the centuries. Thoroughly researched and richly illustrated, Power and Protection offers a stimulating and accessible introduction to this topic for the general reader as well as a fresh and well-balanced account for the specialist. An exhibition of the same title will be displayed at the Ashmolean Museum, Oxford from 20 October 2016 to 15 January 2017, and then it will tour to the Aga Khan Museum in Toronto March-May 2017.
- Author BiographyDr Francesca Leoni is the Yousef Jameel Curator of Islamic Art at the Ashmolean Museum and a Research Associate at the Khalili Research Centre, University of Oxford.
- Author(s)Dr. Francesca Leoni
- PublisherAshmolean Museum
- Date of Publication26/10/2016
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAshmolean Museum
- Content Note156 colour
- Weight544 g
- Width220 mm
- Height280 mm
- Spine10 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.