All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionResource depletion and population pressures are about to catch up with us, and one is prepared. Oil is running out and, if the Western world continues with its current policies, the next decades will likely be marked by war, ecomic collapse, and environmental catastrophe. The political elites, especially in the US, have shown themselves to be unwilling to deal with the situation, and have in mind a punishing game of 'Last One Standing'. There are alternatives. A 'Powerdown' strategy, for example, would aim to reduce per-capita resource usage in wealthy countries, develop alternative energy sources, distribute resources more equitably, and reduce the human population humanely but systematically over time. It could save us, but will require tremendous effort and ecomic sacrifice. Powerdown speaks frankly to these dilemmas. Avoiding cynicism and despair, it begins with an overview of the likely impacts of oil and natural gas depletion and then outlines four options for industrial societies during the next decades: Last One Standing: the path of competition for remaining resources; Powerdown: the path of cooperation, conservation, and sharing; Waiting for a Magic Elixir: wishful thinking, false hopes, and denial; and, Building Lifeboats: the path of community solidarity and preservation. Finally, the book explores how three important groups within global society - the power elites, the organized opposition to the elites (the 'activist' movements), and ordinary people - are likely to respond to these four options. Timely, accessible and eloquent, Powerdown is clarion call to urgent action.
- Author BiographyRICHARD HEINBERG has been writing about energy resources issues and the dynamics of cultural change for many years. A member of the core faculty at New College of California, he is an award-winning author of three previous books, including The Party's Over, Oil War and the Fate of Industrial Societies (2003). His Museletter was nominated for the Utne Reader's 'Best Alternative Newsletter' award in 1993. He lives in Santa Rosa, CA.
- Author(s)Richard Heinberg
- PublisherClairview Books
- Date of Publication23/07/2007
- SubjectEnvironment & Ecology: General Interest
- Place of PublicationForest Row
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintClairview Books
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.57
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.97
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.24
- AU $46.35Trending at AU $48.13
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.05
- AU $20.00Trending at AU $28.33
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.