All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $75.40
- AU $65.90Trending at AU $72.27
- AU $64.90Trending at AU $71.26
- AU $93.88Trending at AU $107.07
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $104.10
- AU $75.99Trending at AU $79.99
- AU $55.80Trending at AU $56.95
About this product
- DescriptionContrary to widespread rhetoric of deregulation, the media are objects of increased global policy. Generators of cultural spheres, within which social consensus is formed, the media are shaped by national and supranational agencies of questionable legitimacy. Policy delineates the form and content of global communications impinging on cultures, discourses and consciousness; yet, citizen representation in processes of policy-making remains fragmentary. In this insightful study, the author examines the role of the European Parliament, as the only international organisation directly accountable to and elected by citizens, in the formation of media policy. This critical account of supranational representation identifies the structural and ideological dynamics of powers in European media policy. Through detailed examination of major policies, the author demonstrates the conditions under which supranational representation can offer a resisting force to unaccountable global powers, and the ways in which it can contribute to system transformation and defend communication spaces.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Katharine Sarikakis (Ph.D.) is Senior Lecturer in International Communications and Media Policy at Coventry University. Her research interests are in the area of globalisation and in particular, international political economic aspects and the role of institutions in media policy, technology and gender.
- Author(s)Katharine Sarikakis
- PublisherVerlag Peter Lang
- Date of Publication01/02/2004
- SubjectCommunication & Media
- Place of PublicationPieterlen
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- ImprintVerlag Peter Lang
- Content Note11 tables
- Weight320 g
- Width150 mm
- Height220 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.