All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFully describes optimization methods that are currently most valuable in solving real-life problems. Since optimization has applications in almost every branch of science and techlogy, the text emphasizes their practical aspects in conjunction with the heuristics useful in making them perform more reliably and efficiently. To this end, it presents comparative numerical studies to give readers a feel for possibile applications and to illustrate the problems in assessing evidence. Also provides theoretical background which provides insights into how methods are derived. This edition offers revised coverage of basic theory and standard techniques, with updated discussions of line search methods, Newton and quasi-Newton methods, and conjugate direction methods, as well as a comprehensive treatment of restricted step or trust region methods t commonly found in the literature. Also includes recent developments in hybrid methods for nlinear least squares; an extended discussion of linear programming, with new methods for stable updating of LU factors; and a completely new section on network programming. Chapters include computer subroutines, worked examples, and study questions.
- Author BiographyAbout the author Professor Roger Fletcher completed his MA at the University of Cambridge in 1960 and his PhD at the University of Leeds in 1963. He was a lecturer at the University of Leeds from 1963 to 1969, then Principal Scientific Officer at AERE Harwell until 1973. He then joined the University of Dundee where he is Professor of Optimization and holds the Baxter Chair of Mathematics. In 1997 he was awarded the prestigious Dantzig Prize for fundamental contributions to algorithms for nonlinear optimization, awarded jointly by the Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics and the Mathematical Programming Society. He is a Fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh and of the Institute of Mathematics and its Applications.
- Author(s)Roger Fletcher
- PublisherJohn Wiley and Sons Ltd
- Date of Publication23/05/2000
- Place of PublicationChichester
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintJohn Wiley & Sons Ltd
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight706 g
- Width155 mm
- Height227 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Edition Statement2nd New edition of Revised edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.76
- AU $15.64Trending at AU $18.73
- AU $24.98Trending at AU $25.11
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $74.59
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $36.82
- AU $44.96Trending at AU $46.93
- AU $24.80Trending at AU $28.01
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.