Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $3.76Trending at AU $7.42
- AU $27.81Trending at AU $30.93
- AU $19.24Trending at AU $26.96
- AU $28.03Trending at AU $32.03
- AU $71.17Trending at AU $80.38
- AU $13.99Trending at AU $15.78
- AU $25.16Trending at AU $27.13
About this product
- DescriptionWe live in a media age where techlogies become the sites and sources of our practices and beliefs, including those deeper values that guide decisions about how we should live. Practical Spiritualities in a Media Age explores how and why media become the site and source of spiritual expressions that address the mundane or everydayness of our lives. Including international case studies and essays from leading scholars such as Stewart Hoover and Graham Harvey, the book examines the ways and the places in which people have employed media and information techlogies to weave spiritual meaning throughout the demands and pastimes of their lives. Topics range from food and sex to spiritual tourism. In doing so, the volume takes up a call from Paul Heelas' seminal work, Spiritualities of Life, to provide more examples, more richness and more depth to the variety of spiritual practices that exist in late modernity. Providing critical, scholarly explorations of the complexities and contradictions of late-modern spiritual practices, Practical Spiritualities in a Media Age is a must-read for anyone working in the intersection of media, religion or spirituality, and culture.
- Author BiographyCurtis Coats is Associate Professor of Communication Studies, and Co-director of Film Studies at Millsaps College, USA. He is co-author with Stewart M. Hoover of the forthcoming book, Does God Make the Man? Media, Religion, and the Crisis of Masculinity. Monica M. Emerich is president of Groundwork Communications & Research, based in the USA, and an instructor in the Sustainable Practices Program, University of Colorado-Boulder, USA. Her previous publications include The Gospel of Sustainability: Media, Market, and LOHAS (2011; 2014) and Media, Spiritualities and Social Change (2010) with Stewart Hoover.
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication19/11/2015
- SubjectReligion: Comparative, General & Reference
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBloomsbury Academic
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight598 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edited byCurtis D. Coats,Monica M. Emerich
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.