All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.77
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $85.78
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.10
- AU $35.12Trending at AU $54.44
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.00
- AU $29.91Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $35.62Trending at AU $37.37
About this product
- DescriptionThis book uses the ubiquitous comparison between food and sex as a framework for examining a number of texts from the Hebrew Bible, as well as later readings of those texts and interpretive issues raised by the texts. A range of biblical texts in which both food and sex appear are analyzed in an interdisciplinary fashion with the help of both traditional tools of biblical scholarship and less traditional tools such as Queer studies and cultural anthropology. By utilizing a reading lens that relates food and sex to one ather intentionally, rather than treating them separately, the book will among other things question the tendency of readers of the Bible to overstress the gravity of sexual matters in relation to other matters of potential ethical, theological, exegetical and cultural concern, such as food. At the same time, as the title Practising Safer Texts indicates, the book also proposes a pragmatic approach to biblical interpretation that uses strategies of safer sex as a sort of loose model. Such an approach assesses texts and readings of the Bible t in a universalizing fashion but rather in terms of their likely effects, for good or ill, on particular readers in particular contexts and situations (just as tions of safer sex ask us to assess sexual acts t in a moralizing fashion but, rather, in terms of their likely effects on particular persons.
- Author BiographyKen Stone is Associate Professor of Hebrew Bible at Chicago Theological Seminary, Chicago, Illinois. A Lambda Literary Award winner, he is author of Sex, Honor and Power in the Deuteronomistic History (Sheffield) and editor of Queer Commentary and the Hebrew Bible (Sheffield/Pilgrim).
- Author(s)Ken Stone
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication01/11/2004
- SubjectChristianity: Bibles & Liturgy
- Series TitleQueering Theology Studies
- Place of PublicationEdinburgh
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintT.& T.Clark Ltd
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight278 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.