All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionConstantine Slobodchikoff and colleagues synthesize the results of their long-running study of Gunnison's prairie dogs (Cymys gunnisoni), one of the keystone species of the short-grass prairie ecosystem. They set their research in the context of the biology of the five Cymys species found in the United States and Mexico, and detail their investigation into the prairie dogs' sophisticated system of barks, yips, and chirps, which Slobodchikoff argues represents a referential communication capable of fine distinctions among predators.Seen as vermin that spoiled valuable rangeland, prairie dogs were long the subject of eradication campaigns and are w threatened by habitat loss and the loss of genetic diversity. The authors hope their research will help to pull the prairie dog back from the brink of extinction, as well as foster an appreciation of larger conservation challenges. By examining the complex factors behind prairie dog decline, we can begin to understand the problems inherent in our adversarial relationship with the natural world. Understanding these interactions is the first step toward a more sustainable future.
- Author BiographyConstantine N. Slobodchikoff is Professor of Biology at Northern Arizona University. Bianca S. Perla is Classroom Instructor, College of Forest Resources, University of Washington. Jennifer Verdolin is a graduate student at SUNY Stony Brook.
- Author(s)Bianca S. Perla,C. N. Slobodchikoff,Jennifer L. Verdolin
- PublisherHarvard University Press
- Date of Publication03/02/2009
- SubjectLife Sciences: Zoology
- Place of PublicationCambridge, Mass
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintHarvard University Press
- Content Note10 halftones, 24 line illustrations, 15 tables
- Weight567 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Format DetailsSewn,Cloth over boards,Unsewn / adhesive bound,With printed dust jacket
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.82
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.80
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $74.86
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $36.95
- AU $44.96Trending at AU $47.10
- AU $24.97Trending at AU $28.23
- AU $9.83Trending at AU $13.31
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.