All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $12.99Trending at AU $19.32
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $73.53
- AU $12.82Trending at AU $13.83
- AU $36.81Trending at AU $38.16
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.69
- AU $20.18Trending at AU $24.51
- AU $26.40Trending at AU $33.66
About this product
- DescriptionThis rich collection celebrates 23 biblical women, from the familiar Sarah, Miriam, Ruth, and Esther, to the more mysterious Hatzlelponi mother of Samson) and the unnamed Wife of Ovadiah. Based on the 13th-century Yemenite Midrash ha-Gadol (literally, the Great Midrash)-a work only partially translated into English and, until w, virtually unkwn to American Jews-this new volume presents stories, commentaries, original mologues, and discussion topics touching upon the lives of Jewish women today. Penina Adelman became captivated by Midrash ha-Gadol while seeking a new ritual to perform before her daughter's bat mitzvah. She eventually enlisted a group of writers to join her in studying the midrash. These women agreed to step inside the Bible and become some of their ancestors. The resulting book is an unusual encounter among remarkable biblical women- from different time periods and walks of life-who are able to converse directly with one ather and the reader. As the writers probe the hearts and minds of the biblical characters, they provide an insightful, behind-the-scenes look into the relationships of women whose feelings and actions have inspired readers throughout the ages. This book is a beautiful example of the way today's scholars are using midrash to weave together Jewish tradition and modern society. In the original Yemenite midrash, each of the women is linked to a line from the poem in Proverbs, Eishet Chayil (Women of Valor)-the poem often sung at Jewish weddings by the groom to the bride and at the traditional Shabbat table by a husband to his wife, and recited at a Jewish woman's funeral. In this new book, the reader is invited to experience the blending of the familiar poem with the previously unexplored treasure trove of Midrash ha-Gadol and the new voices for each character. This extraordinary combination makes it ideal for Jewish educators, teen and adult study groups, readers of midrash, and scholars in the fields of women's studies and contemporary spirituality. It also makes a lovely gift for brides, mothers, and grandmothers.
- Author BiographyPenina Adelman lives in Boston, where she is a Scholar-In-Residence at the Women's Studies Research Center at Brandeis University. Her first book, Miriam's Well, helped launch the Rosh Hodesh movement, which today involves thousands of American Jewish women. She is the author of The Bible from Alef to Tav, a finalist for the 1999 National Jewish Picture Book Award. Most recently, she is the co-author of The Girl's Guide, The Young Jewish Woman's Handbook for Coming of Age.
- PublisherJewish Publication Society
- Date of Publication01/08/2005
- LanguageEnglish & Hebrew
- SubjectChristianity: Bibles & Liturgy
- Place of PublicationPhiladelphia
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintJewish Publication Society
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight354 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Edited byPenina Adelman
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.