All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.09
- AU $166.94Trending at AU $170.17
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $117.55
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.59
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.99
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $52.38
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.54
About this product
- DescriptionThis volume envisions social practices surrounding mosques, shrines and public spaces in urban contexts as a window on the diverse ways in which Muslims in different regional and historical settings imagine, experience, and inhabit places and spaces as sacred . Unlike most studies on Muslim communities, this volume focuses on cultural, material and sensuous practices and urban everyday experience. Drawing on a range of analytical perspectives, the contributions examine spatial practices in Muslim societies from an interdisciplinary perspective, an approach which has been widely neglected both in Islamic studies and social sciences.
- Author BiographyPatrick A. Desplat (Dr.) is lecturer at the Department of Social Anthropology in Cologne. He is interested in Muslim religious practices, migration, translocality, urban life and has been doing fieldwork in Ethiopia, Kenya and currently Madagascar. Dorothea E. Schulz (PhD) is professor of Social Anthropology at the University of Cologne. Her research interests include Muslim religious practices and everyday life, gender, media and public culture in Mali and Uganda.
- PublisherTranscript Verlag
- Date of Publication15/07/2010
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Country of PublicationGermany
- ImprintTranscript Verlag
- Content Note24 b/w illus
- Weight500 g
- Width150 mm
- Height225 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Edited byDorothea Elisabeth Schulz,Patrick A Desplat
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.