All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.33Trending at AU $49.44
- AU $77.99Trending at AU $116.29
- AU $70.29Trending at AU $77.15
- AU $73.79Trending at AU $76.54
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $26.74Trending at AU $37.56
- AU $40.75Trending at AU $42.35
About this product
- DescriptionPraying and Preying offers one of the rare anthropological mographs on the Christian experience of contemporary Amazonian indigeus peoples, based on an ethgraphic study of the relationship between the Wari', inhabitants of Brazilian Amazonia, and the Evangelical missionaries of the New Tribes Mission. Vilaca turns to a vast range of historical, ethgraphic and mythological material related to both the Wari' and missionaries perspectives and the author's own ethgraphic field tes from her more than 30-year involvement with the Wari' community. Developing a close dialogue between the Melanesian literature, which informs much of the recent work in the Anthropology of Christianity, and the concepts and theories deriving from Amazonian ethlogy, in particular the tions of openness to the other, unstable dualism and perspectivism, the author provides a fine-grained analysis of the equivocations and paradoxes that underlie the translation processes performed by the different agents involved and their implications for the transformation of the native tion of personhood.
- Author BiographyAparecida Vilaca is Associate Professor at the Graduate Program in Social Anthropology at the Museu Nacional, Federal University of Rio de Janeiro. She is the author of Strange Enemies, Quem somos nos, and Comendo como gente and coeditor of Native Christians.
- Author(s)Aparecida Vilaca
- PublisherUniversity of California Press
- Date of Publication10/05/2016
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Series TitleThe Anthropology of Christianity
- Series Part/Volume Number19
- Place of PublicationBerkerley
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of California Press
- Content Note17 black and white, 2 maps
- Weight454 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.