All listings for this product
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $70.99Trending at AU $78.63
- AU $65.99Trending at AU $71.23
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $114.18
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $84.73
- AU $70.90Trending at AU $76.35
- AU $12.63Trending at AU $18.69
- AU $16.67Trending at AU $22.47
About this product
- DescriptionFirst pregnancy can be a fraught, uncomfortable experience for any woman, but for resolutely butch lesbian Teek Thomasson, it is exceptionally challenging: Teek identifies as a masculine woman in a world bent on associating pregnancy with a cult of uber-femininity. Teek wonders, Can butches even get pregnant? Of course, as she and her pragmatic femme girlfriend Vee discover, they can. But what happens when they do? Written and illustrated by A.K. Summers, and based on her own pregnancy, Pregnant Butch strives to depict this increasingly common, but still underrepresented experience of queer pregnancy with humor and complexity--from the question of whether suspenders count as legitimate maternity wear to the strains created by different views of pregnancy within a couple and finally to a culturally critical and compassionate interrogation of gender in pregnancy. Offering smart, ambitious art, this graphic memoir is a must-read for would-be pregnant butches and anyone interested in the intersection of birth and gender, as well as a perfect queer baby shower gift and conversation starter for those who always assumed they got being pregnant.
- Author BiographyA.K. Summers began working on Pregnant Butch in 2005, following the birth of her son, and, in 2012, serialized it on webcomics site Activate Comix. A longtime artist, Summers is the creator of Negativa: Chicago's Astute Lezbo Fantasy Mag, and was included in Dennis Cooper's Discontents: New Queer Writers. Summers lives with her partner and son in Providence, Rhode Island.
- Author(s)A. K. Summers
- Date of Publication03/04/2014
- SubjectGraphic Novels: General
- Place of PublicationBerkeley
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSoft Skull Press
- Content NoteB&W illustrations throughout
- Weight285 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine8 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Interest AgeFrom 18
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.