Preserving Ethnicity Through Religion in America: Korean Protestants and Indian Hindus Across Generations by Pyong Gap Min (Paperback, 2010)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $40.95Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by the_nile
- Est. delivery by 9 Nov
- AU $34.61Free postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by worldofbooks-australia
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPreserving Ethnicity through Religion in America explores the factors that may lead to greater success in ethnic preservation. Pyong Gap Min compares Indian Americans and Korean Americans, two of the most significant ethnic groups in New York, and examines the different ways in which they preserve their ethnicity through their faith. Does someone feel more Indian because they practice Hinduism? Does membership in a Korean Protestant church aid in maintaining ties to Korean culture? Pushing beyond sociological research on religion and ethnicity which has tended to focus on whites or on a single immigrant group or on a single generation, Min also takes actual religious practice and theology seriously, rather than gauging religiosity based primarily on belonging to a congregation. Fascinating and provocative voices of informants from two generations combine with telephone survey data to help readers understand overall patterns of religious practices for each group under consideration. Preserving Ethnicity through Religion in America is remarkable in its scope, its theoretical significance, and its methodological sophistication.
- Author BiographyPyong Gap Min is Distinguished Professor of Sociology and Director of Research Center for Korean Community at Queens College and the Graduate Center of the City University of New York. He is the author or editor of several books, including Caught in the Middle: Korean Merchants in America's Multiethnic Cities.
- Author(s)Pyong Gap Min
- PublisherNew York University Press
- Date of Publication05/04/2010
- SubjectReligion: Comparative, General & Reference
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNew York University Press
- Content Note6 illustrations
- Weight386 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $12.99Trending at AU $19.32
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $73.53
- AU $12.82Trending at AU $13.83
- AU $36.79Trending at AU $38.16
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.69
- AU $20.18Trending at AU $24.51
- AU $26.40Trending at AU $33.66
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.