All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.98
- AU $7.99Trending at AU $8.27
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.89
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.37
- AU $66.30Trending at AU $75.12
- AU $31.51Trending at AU $37.08
- AU $25.48Trending at AU $28.39
About this product
- DescriptionThe American public hungers for a heroic leader. From John F. Kennedy to George W. Bush, every American president has left office either under a cloud or as a failed leader. Michael A. Gevese argues that presidents are set up for failure; it is t specific presidents but the presidency itself that is the problem. The presidency was designed to prevent tyranny through a system of separation of powers that inhibits presidents from exercising sufficient power to meet the demands and expectations that developed over time. Each new president dreams of success, only to be crushed by the paralytic weight of vetoes and roadblocks. As they fail to meet expectations, Americans turn on them, making their already precarious position much worse. Given the perilous nature of the office, Gevese examines the skills required to achieve success and the roles of power and persuasion. He also examines how globalization and the rapid pace of change contribute to the decline of presidential power. This accessible synthesis of scholarship is geared toward an audience that is hungry to unravel the dilemmas of presidential leadership. Students of the presidency will find it insightful; general readers will find it illuminating.
- Author BiographyMichael A. Genovese holds the Loyola Chair of Leadership and is professor of political science and director of the Institute for Leadership Studies at Loyola Marymount University. He is theauthor of The Encyclopedia of the American Presidency and The Presidential Dilemma.
- Author(s)Michael A. Genovese
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Inc
- Date of Publication30/10/2015
- SubjectGovernment & Constitution
- Series TitlePresidential Briefings Series
- Place of PublicationSomerset
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintTransaction Publishers
- Weight525 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Map ScalePresidential Briefings Series
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.