All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionLittle Bea has a pretend friend, so does Big Jay. Their pretend friends are very different and people react very differently to them. Little Bea has lots of fun adventures with her pretend friend Nye Nye. Big Jay's pretend friends don't make him happy, in fact they can make life quite hard for Big Jay. This full colour story book helps to explain in a child-friendly way what life is like for those who hear voices or have other hallucinations or delusions as a result of mental illness. Appropriate for children aged 4 and above, it describes why these auditory and visual hallucinations are very different to the enjoyable imaginary friends many children create, and explains some of the things that may help people like Big Jay.
- Author BiographyAlice Hoyle works as an Associate Advisory Teacher of Personal, Social, Health & Economic (PSHE) Education for the PSHE Association. Her experience of teaching about mental health made her aware of the lack of resources for younger children around serious mental illness. She wrote this book to support children to develop their understanding about mental health, to help increase empathy and reduce stigma and discrimination people with serious mental illness often face. As an active member of Rethink Mental Illness, Alice is donating her royalties from this book to help raise money and awareness for the work of the charity. Alice lives in Bath, UK with her husband, two daughters and a plethora of pretend friends including Elfie, Li-Li, Ariella and Micub. Lauren Reis has created illustrations for SANE Mental Health, OCD-UK, Anxiety UK, the Big Life group and has developed the illustrations on this book for Rethink. Lauren also promotes the work of charities through her business Tear Up The Plans and runs creative 'Workshops for Well-Being' for organisations, including MENCAP. Lauren has managed emetophobia and fully supports mental health in the work she does on a daily basis.
- Author(s)Alice Hoyle
- PublisherJessica Kingsley Publishers
- Date of Publication21/02/2015
- SubjectPicture Books
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintJessica Kingsley Publishers
- Content Note26 full page illustrations (13 spreads)
- Weight299 g
- Width210 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Illustrator(s)Lauren Reis
- Interest AgeFrom 4
Best-selling in Children's Picture Books
Save on Children's Picture Books
- AU $12.40Trending at AU $12.78
- AU $11.49Trending at AU $13.60
- AU $12.59Trending at AU $19.52
- AU $10.99Trending at AU $17.23
- AU $4.00Trending at AU $4.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.