All listings for this product
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.29
- AU $32.44Trending at AU $38.14
- AU $45.07Trending at AU $52.06
- AU $33.00Trending at AU $35.68
- AU $21.88Trending at AU $34.44
- AU $30.12Trending at AU $32.49
- AU $20.37Trending at AU $22.08
About this product
- DescriptionFocus, Organization, and Content This book, like the first edition, deals with the mass transport processes that take place in living systems, with a focus on the rmal behavior of eukaryotic cells and the - ganisms they constitute, in their rmal physiological environment. As a consequence of this focus, the structure and content of the book differ from those of traditional transport texts. We do t start with the engineering principles of mass transport (which are well presented elsewhere) and then seek biological applications of these principles; rather, we begin with the biological processes themselves, and then - velop the models and analytical tools that are needed to describe them. This approach has several consequences. First of all, it drives the content of the text in a direction distinctively different from conventional transport texts. This is - cause the tools and models needed to describe complex biological processes are often different from those employed to describe more well-characterized inanimate systems. Many biological processes must still be described phemelogically, using me- odologies like nequilibrium thermodynamics. Simple electrical analogs employing a paucity of parameters can be more useful for characterization and prediction than complex theories based on the behavior of more well-defined systems on a laboratory bench. By allowing the biology to drive the choice of analysis tools and models, the latter are consistently presented in the context of real biological systems, and analysis and biology are interwoven throughout.
- Author(s)Morton H. Friedman
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication25/08/2008
- SubjectScience & Mathematics: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Note150 black & white illustrations, biography
- Weight1183 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Edition Statement2nd ed. 2008
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.