All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe teaching of arithmetic in the primary school has traditionally been dominated by a focus on standard algorithms and this approach is w being questioned. Curriculum changes are taking place that promote the development of mental strategies, and provide more opportunities for children to develop their own ways of working. This book shows contrasting influences for change as leading mathematics educators from the USA, the UK and the Netherlands identify the way research is used to develop different classroom practices. In England, changes are taking place through a National Numeracy Strategy which is set to raise standards in every primary classroom while in the Netherlands, Realistic Mathematics Education introduces invative approaches such as use of an 'empty number line' to support the teaching of mental strategies. This book explores why we teach in different ways, challenges orthodoxy, and sets the agenda for learning from each other.
- Author BiographyJulia Anghileri is Head of Mathematics and Principal Lecturer in Mathematics Education at Homerton College, University of Cambridge. As a writer and editor, she has written and contributed to several books in Britain and the USA. She is currently consultant to the National Numeracy Project and is writing guidance for teachers at the Qualifications and Curriculum Authority.
- Author(s)Julia Anghileri
- PublisherOpen University Press
- Date of Publication01/02/2001
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Series TitleUK Higher Education OUP Humanities & Social Sciences Education OUP
- Place of PublicationMilton Keynes
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOpen University Press
- Content Notereferences, index
- Weight360 g
- Width60 mm
- Height91 mm
- Spine5 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.77
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $85.78
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.10
- AU $35.12Trending at AU $54.44
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.00
- AU $29.91Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $35.62Trending at AU $37.37
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.