All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.40
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.83
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $97.85
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.28
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.18
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.95
- AU $69.55Trending at AU $86.07
About this product
- DescriptionThis book is motivated by the very favorable reception given to the previous editions as well as by the considerable range of new developments in the laser ?eld since the publication of the third edition in 1989. These new developmentsinclude, among others, Quantum-Well and Multiple-Quantum Well lasers, diode-pumpedsolid-state lasers, new concepts for both stable and unstable resonators, femtosecond lasers, ultra-high-brightness lasers etc. The basic aim of the book has remained the same, namely to providea broad and uni?ed description of laser behavior at the simplest level which is compatible with a correct physical understanding. The book is thereforeintendedas a text-bookfor a senior-levelor ?rst-year graduatecourse and/or as a reference book. This edition corrects several errors introduced in the previous edition. The most relevant additions or changes to since the third edition can be summarized as follows: 1. A much-more detailed description of Ampli?ed Spontaneous Emission has been given [Chapt. 2] and a vel simpli?ed treatment of this phemen both for homogeneousor inhomogeneouslines has been introduced [Appendix C]. 2. A major fraction of a chapter [Chapt. 3] is dedicated to the interaction of radiation with semiconductor media, either in a bulk form or in a quantum-con?ned structure (quantum-well, quantum-wire and quantum dot). 3. A moderntheory of stable and unstable resonatorsis introduced,where a more ext- sive use is made of the ABCD matrix formalism and where the most recent topics of dynamically stable resonators as well as unstable resonators, with mirrors having Gaussian or super-Gaussian transverse re?ectivity pro?les, are considered [Chapt. 5].
- Author BiographyOrazio Svelto is Professor of Quantum Electronics at the Polytechnic Institute of Milan and Director of the Quantum Electronics Center of the Italian National Research Council. His research has covered a wide range of activity in the field of laser physics and quantum electronics, starting from the very beginning of these disciplines. This activity includes ultrashort-pulse generation and applications, development of laser resonators and mode-selection techniques, laser applications in biology and medicine, and development of solid-state lasers. Professor Svelto is the author of more than 150 scientific papers and his researches have been the subject of more than 50 invited papers and international conferences. He has served as a program chair of the IX International Quantum Electronics Conference (1976), as a chair of the European program committee for CLEO '85 and CLEO '90, and he was general co-chair for the first CLEO-Europe Conference (1994). He is an elected member of the Italian Accademia dei XL and a Fellow of the IEEE.
- Author(s)Orazio Svelto
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication28/12/2009
- SubjectScience & Mathematics: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Notebiography
- Weight1324 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine34 mm
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
- Edition Statement5th ed. 2010
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.