All listings for this product
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.40
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $86.07
- AU $18.54Trending at AU $23.02
- AU $29.91Trending at AU $39.16
- AU $26.15Trending at AU $26.53
- AU $35.37Trending at AU $37.50
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $53.93
About this product
- DescriptionThis book is based on a critical study of The Aligarh Institute Gazette covering the period 1866 97, a phase when India was slowly transiting to the modern age, with the spread of new political, social, educational and religious ideas. Numerous social movements too, were gathering steam during this period to reform the Indian society. Sir Syed Ahmed Khan, the founder of The Aligarh Institute Gazette, fought against obscurantist ideas and persuaded the Indian people to accept the impending changes. Print Culture: Sir Syed s Aligarh Institute Gazette begins with a brief account of the life and achievements of Sir Syed. It goes on to examine the role of the Scientific Society, that remained active from 1864 to 1884. During this period the Scientific Society held regular meetings highlighting the need for social, educational and political reforms and attempted to develop a scientific temperament amongst the people. The Aligarh Institute Gazette was an organ of the Scientific Society, and very soon it became popular throughout the subcontinent. An important feature of the Gazette was its editorials penned by Sir Syed himself on social and educational reforms. They set the tone and style of editorial writing in Urdu journalism. This book is an important contribution to the understanding of Urdu journalism and throws light on the ideas and character of Sir Syed. It judiciously asseses the man who worked hard to achieve unity between the people of India, and fills the gaps in our understanding of Sir Syed s ideas.
- Author(s)Aosogohar Abbaas,Asghar Abbas,Syed Asim Ali
- PublisherPrimus Books
- Date of Publication10/07/2015
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPrimus Books
- Weight472 g
- Width157 mm
- Height243 mm
- Spine21 mm
- Format DetailsSewn,Cloth over boards
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.