All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $73.29
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $71.81
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $70.75
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $103.44
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.95
- AU $53.09Trending at AU $58.60
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $112.55
About this product
- DescriptionWritten by three veteran statisticians, this applied introduction to probability and statistics emphasizes the existence of variation in almost every process, and how the study of probability and statistics helps us understand this variation. Designed for students with a background in calculus, this book continues to reinforce basic mathematical concepts with numerous real-world examples and applications to illustrate the relevance of key concepts.
- Author BiographyRobert V. Hogg, Professor Emeritus of Statistics at the University of Iowa since 2001, received his B.A. in mathematics at the University of Illinois and his M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in mathematics, specializing in actuarial sciences and statistics, from the University of Iowa. Known for his gift of humor and his passion for teaching, Hogg has had far-reaching influence in the field of statistics. Throughout his career, Hogg has played a major role in defining statistics as a unique academic field, and he almost literally wrote the book on the subject. He has written more than 70 research articles and co-authored four books including Introduction of Mathematical Statistics, 6th edition, with J. W. McKean and A.T. Craig, Applied Statistics for Engineers and Physical Scientists 3rd edtion with J. Ledolter and A Brief Course in Mathematical 1st edition with E.A. Tanis. His texts have become classroom standards used by hundreds of thousands of students. Among the many awards he has received for distinction in teaching, Hogg has been honored at the national level (the Mathematical Association of America Award for Distinguished Teaching), the state level (the Governor's Science Medal for Teaching), and the university level (Collegiate Teaching Award). His important contributions to statistical research have been acknowledged by his election to fellowship standing in the ASA and the Institute of Mathematical Statistics. Elliot Tanis, Professor Emeritus of mathematics at Hope College, received his M.S. and Ph.D. degrees from the University of Iowa. Tanis is the co-author of A Brief Course in Mathematical Statistics with R. Hogg and Probability and Statistics: Explorations with MAPLE 2nd edition with Z. Karian. He has authored over 30 publications on statistics and is a past chairman and governor of the Michigan MAA, which presented him with both its Distinguished Teaching and Distinguished Service Awards. He taught at Hope for 35 years and in 1989 received the HOPE Award (Hope's Outstanding Professor Educator) for his excellence in teaching. In addition to his academic interests, Dr. Tanis is also an avid tennis player and devoted Hope sports fan. Dale Zimmerman is The Robert V. Hogg Professor in the Department of Statistics and Actuarial Science at the University of Iowa.
- Author(s)Dale Zimmerman,Elliot A. Tanis,Robert V. Hogg
- PublisherPearson Education (US)
- Date of Publication24/12/2013
- SubjectScience & Mathematics: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white line drawings, colour line drawings, colour tables, figures
- Weight1040 g
- Width203 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edition Statement9th Revised edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.