All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAlan Turing was an extraordinary man who crammed into a life of only 42 years the careers of mathematician, codebreaker, computer scientist and biologist. He is widely regarded as a war hero grossly mistreated by his unappreciative country and it has become hard to disentangle the real man from the story. It is easy to cast him as a misfit, the stereotypical professor. But actually Alan Turing was never a professor, and his nickname 'Prof' was given by his codebreaking friends at Bletchley Park. Now, Alan Turing's nephew, Dermot Turing, has taken a fresh look at the influences on Alan Turing's life and creativity, and the later creation of a legend. For the first time it is possible to disclose the real character behind the cipher-text: how did Alan's childhood experiences influence the man? Who were the influential figures in Alan's formative years? How did his creative ideas evolve? Was he really a solitary, asocial genius? What was his wartime work after 1942, and why was it kept even more secret than the Enigma story? What is the truth about Alan Turing's conviction for gross indecency, and did he commit suicide? What is the significance of the Royal Pardon granted in 2013? In Dermot's own style he takes a vibrant and entertaining approach to the life and work of a true genius.
- Author Biography<b>Sir Dermot Turing</b>was educated at Sherborne and Cambridge, like his uncle, Alan Turing, before him. After completing his PhD in Genetics at Oxford, Dermot moved into the legal profession, working first for HM Treasury Solicitor s Department and then for Clifford Chance, where he was a partner from 1999-2014. He is a serving Trustee of Bletchley Park.
- Author(s)Dermot Turing
- PublisherThe History Press Ltd
- Date of Publication01/08/2016
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Place of PublicationStroud
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintThe History Press Ltd
- Content Note100 black & white illustrations, 16 black & white plates, 16 black & white plates, 16 black & white plates
- Weight386 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine20 mm
Save on Textbooks
- AU $39.95Trending at AU $54.70
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.60
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.63
- AU $18.90Trending at AU $23.23
- AU $26.38Trending at AU $38.31
- AU $53.34Trending at AU $56.23
- AU $28.48Trending at AU $29.68
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.