All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionCommunicating in writing is a highly valued skill which is central to the fabric of social work practice. Good writing is critical in informing sound decisions in the interests of service users, yet it is a skill that can often be neglected in the face of demanding social work roles. This book aims to help social workers to write clearly, accurately and objectively in all contexts, so that they can communicate effectively with multiple audiences. It gives social workers practical guidance and advice on how to write unambiguously, efficiently and analytically, demonstrating how important writing skills are to the professional identity of social workers. Topics covered include: * Advice on all communication types including emails, letters, case tes, reports, funding applications and text messages * Techniques for planning and organising your writing * Using professional language and vocabulary appropriate to your audiences * A refresher on common grammar mistakes that can detract from your message * Information on the legal frameworks you should be aware of when recording events, conversations, and recommendations * Meeting the requirements of reports where space to express yourself may be at a premium Each chapter contains numerous exercises, with examples of good analytical writing included to help writers to develop their own competence. Case studies drawn from real scenarios relate the skills being discussed directly to practice. This book is an indispensable manual for all social work students, newly qualified social workers and experienced professionals who want a practical guide to improving their writing.
- Author BiographyLouise Frith is a Student Learning Advisor at the University of Kent, UK, specialising in writing skills and writing for academic purposes. She teaches across disciplines, including working with students on the BA and MA social work programmes. Ruben Martin is Honorary Senior Lecturer in Social Work at the University of Kent, UK and a freelance Practice Educator and Consultant. He has also authored Teamwork Skills for Social Workers, in this Social Work Skills in Practice series.
- Author(s)Louise Frith,Ruben Martin
- PublisherOpen University Press
- Date of Publication01/10/2015
- SubjectSocial Sciences: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleUK Higher Education OUP Humanities & Social Sciences Health & Social Welfare
- Place of PublicationMilton Keynes
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOpen University Press
- Weight680 g
- Width68 mm
- Height95 mm
- Spine4 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.40
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.83
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $96.53
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.28
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.18
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.95
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $86.07
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.