All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIs the universe actually a giant quantum computer? According to Seth Lloyd, the answer is yes. All interactions between particles in the universe, Lloyd explains, convey t only energy but also information-in other words, particles t only collide, they compute. What is the entire universe computing, ultimately? Its own dynamical evolution, he says. As the computation proceeds, reality unfolds. <i>Programming the Universe</i>, a wonderfully accessible book, presents an original and compelling vision of reality, revealing our world in an entirely new light.
- Author Biography<b>Seth Lloyd</b> is Professor of Mechanical Engineering at MIT and a principal investigator at the Research Laboratory of Electronics. He is also adjunct assistant professor at the Santa Fe Institute. He designed the first feasible quantum computer, and works on problems having to do with information and complex systems from the very small (how do atoms process information? how can you make them compute?) to the very large (how does society process information? And how can we understand society in terms of its ability to process information?). His seminal work in the fields of quantum computation and quantum communications--including proposing the first technologically feasible design for a quantum computer--has gained him a reputation as an innovator and leader in the field of quantum computing. Lloyd has been featured widely in the mainstream media including the front page of <i>The New York Times</i>, <i>Los Angeles Times</i>, <i>The Washington Post</i>, <i>The Economist</i>, <i>Wired</i>, <i>The Dallas Morning News</i>, and <i>The Times</i> (London), among others. His name also frequently appears (both as writer and subject) in the pages of <i>Nature</i>, <i>New Scientist</i>, <i>Science</i>, and <i>Scientific American</i>.
- Author(s)Seth Lloyd
- PublisherRandom House USA Inc
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRandom House Inc
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight236 g
- Width134 mm
- Height204 mm
- Spine13 mm
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.88Trending at AU $23.55
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $73.13
- AU $32.88Trending at AU $36.70
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.07
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.48
- AU $20.38Trending at AU $26.52
- AU $29.12Trending at AU $29.58
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.