All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.84
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.82
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.31
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $74.95
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $37.00
- AU $24.97Trending at AU $28.26
- AU $9.83Trending at AU $13.32
About this product
- DescriptionSince 1991-the year that marked both the fall of the Soviet Union and the centenary of Sergey and birth-a new assessment of the rewned composer's life and work has become both possible and necessary. In this engrossing book, David Nice draws on a remarkable range of previously unexamined sources to present that reassessment.The book follows Prokofiev's personal and musical progression from his childhood on a Ukrainian country estate to the years he spent traveling in America and Europe as an acclaimed interpreter of his own works. Nice sheds new light on Prokofiev's early years at the St. Petersburg Conservatoire, his departure from Russia in 1918 for what he thought would be a short tour of America, and his marriage and family relationships. He considers the music of Prokofiev's years in the west (long dismissed by Soviet musicologists as decadent work weakened by the composer's absence from the motherland), moving from the lyricism of his St. Petersburg years to the fresh simplicity of his early Soviet scores. Nice also examines the complex reasons which led Prokofiev to move his family to the Soviet Union in 1936. A second volume will cover Prokofiev's life from this period to his death in 1952.
- Author BiographyDavid Nice is a writer, broadcaster, and lecturer on music, and author of books on Elgar, Tchaikovsky, and Richard Strauss.
- Author(s)David Nice
- PublisherYale University Press
- Date of Publication07/03/2003
- SubjectBiography: The Arts
- Place of PublicationNew Haven
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintYale University Press
- Content Note17 b-w illus.
- Weight870 g
- Width155 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine38 mm
- Format DetailsCloth over boards
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.